Wednesday, 22 August 2012

LIGHTING CANDLES IN A WINDY ALLEY.......(part two)

Except for the few patches of clouds that skidded the western horizon on the far end, evening was coming with huge forces. Father closed the shop i followed him to the car like one in a trance. Soon we were racing down the streets to the warmness of home that father had only an idea of. He never got there. Not long after leaving the manes avenue we were being followed. It was uncanny the way lights stayed in perfect formation, the way they kept the same distance from us. Slowing when we slowed, and speed when we sped up. Father girded himself for the oncoming event. His breathe showed like smoke in the frosty air of the evening. I held my breathe. I couldn't  pray but i kept saying Oh God! Dear Lord!

Screeeeechhh!!! Suddenly father halted. He almost hit the electric post. My heart skipped a second and i rolled down the back seat. I saw beads of perspiration run down his face, he wiped it with a handkerchief. I am sure he never wanted me to know how scared he was.

They walked like insectoid creatures, side by side towards the car, and their motions were synchronized precisely. Their eyes were hard, perfectly round and luminescent gold, like the eyes of the moth at night.With such a visage it was hard to discern expressions. They revealed more cruelty than compassion. 

"just hold it there Juma, and don't try anything funny of course or else i will permit you a sweet one in the head!" one of the men blurted.

I was shocked to the roots of my existence. These people knew father. I was forced to believe that these were not common criminals but people up to something more sinister. Before i could do anything, my arm was grabbed and i was pulled out. Father pleaded with them but it fell on deaf ears. I yelled. with an attempt to frighten the mugger, but he was glued to me like a leech on the ground. He was close to me, hunch and intent, not in any position to let go off me.

Before i could yell again, i saw the colt first and froze. An A38 automatic and a cold cruel voice sent an asphyxiating shudder through my body. I obeyed every order that followed. Barely could i explain the pain. It was not anything anyone could talk about. I felt wet, my dress was soaked in blood. Total confusion is what mounted my blank mind. At five????I hated myself,hated them, hated my father as well. I felt cold from head to toe and the warmth of tears welling down my eyes reminded me that i was in the middle of no where. I clutched at my blood stained hands tightly not really believing the things that were unfolding before my eyes. 

"Bob, don't do that to her!" I heard father cry out. what followed was a thud on his head. Then pitch silence. It was too painful for me to react. i was not thinking any more.......i saw many candles that were lit in the windy alley.......

No comments:

Post a Comment