The Battle of Belonging
Hello there who are you
African, that is what they say
African, that is what is written
African, that is what they made me believe
Ooh is that so
Yes, I speak the African Language
Yes, my government is African
Yes, my beliefs and customs are African
That is very interesting
I am African too
That is what they say
That is what is written
That is what they made me believe
So where do you come from
Somewhere in the East of Africa
Kenya, by the shores of the Great Lake Victoria
Luhya, That is my African Language
So is your government Luhya
No my president is of the highlands
My vice president of the lowlands
I am from the mid lands
So you are not really African
I come from the West of Africa
Ghana, near the great manmade lake Akosombo
Krobo, that is my African Language
No mine is the African language
Its traditions heard far and beyond
Its literatures read far and beyond
Its government documented in the world map
No mine is the African language
Its cultures spread beyond the seas and skies
Its music sang by nations of white sand
Its dynasties recognized since when writing began
But if that is so
Why can you not speak African
Why can you not understand my tongues
Who are you
Who is Africa
Have you ever met him before
Have you ever ate at a table with Africa
Have you ever been governed by Africa
I ask again
Who is Africa
Is it just a ghost in the sky
Or does it just cover the realities of me
Who then am i
The black skin slaving to be African
The shrub haired acting African
Or just a
passenger
In this train called Africa
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteVERY TOUCHY PIECE.
ReplyDeleteI just looooove it. More grease to 'em elbows ma'am!!!
"So is your government Luhya
No my president is of the highlands
My vice president of the lowlands
I am from the mid lands"
.... my favorite lines so far though