DUMSOR
A candle stands in the middle of my floor
Cemented, cold and pot holed
Water glitters in my face
A heavy storm came last night
My corrugated leaking roof
Today will be its twenty fifth birthday
The number of years since my birth
I have owned it for only two years
Because the exposed electric wire killed my mother
And a storm swept my father into the Atlantic
A pair of tiny eyes graces the darkness that is home
Freckled, dainty and almost invisible
He holds an empty plate in his hand
We just ran out of garee this morning
My patched trousers carry only twenty peswes
The last of balance since last year when I came from
work
I do not work at the construction site any more
My oga say we be too much for the small job
So I wake up and listen to the radio all day
Just in case the dumsor will give me a job
A large painting of Nkrumah hangs on my muddy wall
Crumbled, dusty and almost tearing apart
His kente still looks as new as the day we got
independence
The streets were filled with light
And the nation full of might
Africa was on a flight bigger and better than ever was
A dream was realized and a nation restored
I look closer into his eyes
Pain, despair and a faint heart he holds
I sink into my darkness and hope for tomorrow
A droplet of water falls on my chest
It is warm, greasy and smells of fear
I hold her in my hands
And tell her to hold on for us
We have no health insurance for her malaria
The nurse at the hospital called us lice
Too dependent and lazy to work hard
My wife sold nkatie at the market
Then she stopped after the accident
She cannot go any more
A sharp pain in my right knee strains me
The wound is hot, itchy and oozy
It looks like a big bulb of light
Lightly yellow on the top and supple in the inside
I fell on sharp nails in the dark mines
The Chinese oga said it was not his fault
So I washed it with salt daily till I could wash no
more
The sharp pain comes again and I strain
The last of my candle light has burned out
That is the dumsor that is my life
You paint such a sad scene with just words. Great piece, sad sad story. I hope for all the hopeless
ReplyDeleteI know how sad this can be
ReplyDelete