It is a cold July morning
A thin film of wind penetrates into the
room
I am covered in heavy blankets to the
head
Just enough opening left to breathe
The squared space that is my room, now
empty
Was full of your laughters the nights
before
But now a drenching silence culminates
it
The brick walls suddenly feel like the
inside of a freezer
No amount of warm clothing keeps me warm
My mind wriggles and jiggles with
endless thought
I can almost see the atoms that form the
light bulb
It glares back at me with a cold
shoulder, something like
Do you ever listen woman?
My eyes blink a little and my face
hardens
A warm tear pierces my lashes and
streams down
I sit still and let the rest of it flow
It was good every night, every morning
too
But not today...
I can almost hear the soft pads of your
feet in the room
A tray in your hands and a million dollar
smile
‘wakey wakey time for breakfast!’
I pull the blankets over my head and
groan a bit
You jump into the bed and squeeze your
arms around me
‘You know you look beautiful in the
morning’
I open my eyes half way and wring a
smile
But not today...
A tiny little hand stretches from the
side of the bed
Then a head follows a jolly face and
then a voice yells
‘Mama come get my breakfast’
We are just three since you last heard
of us
He looks so much like you, it drains me
He has your eyes, big, wide and
beautiful
He has your voice, the same one that
charmed my heart
The same one that dragged me from my rambling
marriage
Right through your door, into your
cotton sheets and then
Towed me night after night into your
loins
Then he happened!
One cold July just like today, he
happened
It started with a slight headache, then
no appetite ,weakness
My head felt like a whirl wind, going
over and over
I checked my calendar, two weeks gone
since code red
I panicked!
With my shaky feet and sweaty palms I
saw the doctor
I was not sure how to take it, so i gave
the news to you
Sometimes i wish you could have tried to
pretend
Feign a little joy until you set your
eyes on me
Then you can drop every horrid line of
anger on me
‘Are you kidding me, girl you are
married’
‘Just one week with me and then this’
‘I have a wedding in a month you cannot
do this’
‘What will i even tell my fiancĂ© if I
may ask’
‘You have got to tell that asshole to
man up’
You went on till your voice sounded like
a maize milling machine
Have you ever stared at pain and laughed
so hard
Have you ever spoken to pain or reasoned
with pain?
But wait, have you ever bought pain a
gift
Just so you can buy it off to stop
torturing you
‘But you said you loved me’ that was
pain talking
‘You said i only had to call’ that was
pain trying
‘You said you always wanted a baby with
me’
That must have been the shut down moment
For there was a sudden thunderstorm in
my brain
Then a lightening that came down with
heavy showers
I was soaked to heart and wet to the
bone
I know you are eager to hear about the
marriage
It has been three years since i used his
name
He was standing by the bathroom door
Word after word he heard me say
Your drill and shrill of a voice did not
escape him
When i wanted so badly for someone to
hold my arm
He stood and watched as pain weakened my
body
He listened every night to my apologies
without talk
It tore my heart into pellets and
chocked my being
I stared at my phone all day and all
night
Maybe you would change your mind and
call
I have waited and still I do wait for I
know you will never call
Maybe some day
But not today...
I put a brave face for him because he
makes me
I know someday he will understand all
this
But sometimes it feels as if he already
does
I love how he cuddles into the blankets
with me
When he smiles it’s like twinkle little stars
hang in the room
His eyes have a glow that makes being
with him a flow
He warms my heart in cold nights like
today
And I love to watch him sleep after
reading to him
He will never be like either of you
He will not be sterile and blame it on
his woman
He will not make a woman pregnant and
walk away
I will teach him every little detail
about love
I am not sure it ever chanced your mind
to know love
I am not certain either of you had a
soul or a heart
But i look forward to better days
My morning afters are different now
After days of work and watching him grow
we fall asleep
Son then mama and we tuck into each
other
We protect each other and love every
moment of it
We wake up to better days and better
choices
For lessons can only be learnt once and
lived forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment