Monday, 18 January 2016

YO YUMU.......


Yo yumu!
they call out my name
the deep river woman
with a shiny black skin
gleaming with radiance
from the raw Shea butter
white teeth in the sparkle
bathed in black  gums
and a middle gap
that stops the masses
 
 
Yo yumu!
I hear them say my name again
my sisal tough and forest of a hair
shimmering in the coconut oils
the Agomanya market beads
lay patently on my chest
showing off my elongated neck
and the bones that made my shoulders
are exposed to the world
heads turn in my direction

Yo yumu....
They whisper in tiny folds
wishing deep into the airs
dreaming late into the nights
praying when the sun sets
i glow in the morning sun
i flow when the sun hits noon
yet as the sun goes to set
my freshness is like milk in a gourd
the sour taste of it makes them keep drinking

 




























Yo yumu
They shudder at the mention of my name
i carry burdens over my shoulder
but still smile like i won a jackpot
when i walk the ground stops
because of my nobility
they never talk without calling me
because i make the world
i run the words that roll in their mouths
and still hold my on to my ego

Yo yumu
I am the whispers of the wind
when palms of the coast wave their branches
i am the unspoken silence
when the tide of the sea calms down
i am the clambering noise
when the rain falls in heavy torrents
i am here now but yet
i can be there and over there now too
i am your dream and nightmare too

 

Yo yumu
I wave my hands into the air
dancing to the tunes of the isikuti
my sisal skirt tight in my waist
and my stout feet stamp the ground with might
in another world i fold my body in rappa
and move my hand gently
to the dipo song of the Krobo
i fall into a musical trance
my soul....my being....my spirit

Yo yumu
I am the African woman
sometimes i will bow to tradition
other times tradition must bow to me
i go where the wind takes me
and become what it whispers to me
sometimes i can carry your burden
other times everyone must take their cross
i am the African woman, seasonal
but it does not change who i am.....

4 comments:

  1. "...other times tradition must bow to me." I read your art and everytime I do I derive an unexplainable inspiration to be the black tough woman I am. Bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. certainly tradition reaches a point you say hold it there and listen to me....

      Delete
  2. Yo Yumu...this is a fantastic piece!

    ReplyDelete